- 4large bell peppers (any color)
- 1lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 2tablespoons chopped onion
- 1cup cooked rice
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1can (15 oz) Muir Glen™ organic tomato sauce
- 3/4cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 oz)
Heat oven to 350°F.
Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top of pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. If necessary, cut thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they stand up straight. In 4-quart Dutch oven, add enough water to cover peppers. Heat to boiling; add peppers. Cook about 2 minutes; drain.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in rice, salt, garlic and 1 cup of the tomato sauce; cook until hot.
- Stuff peppers with beef mixture. Stand peppers upright in ungreased 8-inch square glass baking dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Try Quinoa or Bulgar as an alternative to rice
- Top with fresh herbs
- Use a rainbow of red, green, orange & yellow peppers
- Make it Tex-Mex by adding Cumin & Chili powder
- Substitute ground turkey or chicken instead of beef
Leave a Reply